Thank you for calling. How can I help you?

My first call for my December 9, 2009 shift came from a retired teacher. His name is Ralph. The call was generally about the performance of his six-year-old battery back-UPS where his MAC pc is plugged into.

He fired up some software functionality and features inquiries which I believe, and hopefully, was able satisfy him with the answers I provided.

He expressed his thoughts to the fact that APC (the company I work for) has no software that could enable him to adjust the configuration of his back-UPS through his MAC computer. Then he went on by explaining why APC should work double time to make the software features available for MAC operating system.

Generally calls I receive each work shift are fine. Some cause me to “nose bleed” due to customer’s complex issue or problems. However, these situations are our way, as Technical Support Representatives, familiarize, learn and excel in the task at hand.

But with this particular call, it was quite different. The technical aspect of it is taken care of. I took note in his case all his feedbacks and suggestions to APC. However, on a personal note, I felt that I heard my favorite college professor giving me a lecture in Social Anthropology! It was like I was transported back in the classroom nine years ago, attentively listening to my professor carrying on with the lesson.

Well, I could say that Ralph truly is a teacher. He caught my attention with how he stressed his whole point.

Ralph successfully convinced me search in Google Steve Jobs’ commencement speech in Stanford University in June 2005. He told me what he thinks about it. By the way, for those who do not know Steve Jobs yet, he is the co-founder and CEO of Apple and Pixar Studios.

I must agree - it’s a one heck of speech. It’s so simple and intimate yet Steve Jobs conveyed his message clearly. No highfaluting words were necessary to embellish his statements.

Ralph admitted he does not personally know Steve Jobs. Nor Steve Jobs would care to throw attention at him if, by rare chance, they would meet. But because of his inspiring speech, Ralph made it a point to forward the good message to everyone he encounters, with a hope that reading it might do good to people whom he shares it to.

I must have failed to let Ralph know of this but yes, the Steve Jobs’ speech is indeed, among those very few pieces I have read so far, that made me shed tears on the realization that there is still great life after failure. To start all over again could actually be much exciting. Changes in life due to unsuccessful endeavor could only be as gloomy as how a person perceives it to be.

Failure could only hinder you deeply the way you allow it to. Or it could catapult you to somewhere much, much higher, should you use it to fuel up your low spirit.

Looking back, all I feel now is extreme regret. It took me several years to dwell with such failure. And worse, I even isolated myself from everyone whom I treasure most in my life. For what? Foolish fear, pride, self-pity… I could not really pinpoint.

Currently, I am slowly rebuilding my relationships with my family and friends. It is not easy. I am still apprehensive. But you know what makes me cry much more? All these family and friends whom I was able to reach out again made me feel how they truly miss me. That was not the reaction I was expecting at all!

----------

Anything good is meant to be shared. So for those who have not yet read this great piece of real-life tale, you may go to this link: http://news.stanford.edu/news/2005/june15/jobs-061505.html

Also let me share an anecdote of this customer. Ralph narrated he retired from 45 years of teaching. He has been a teacher all his life. He mentioned there was one time while he was standing in a bus ride, a young lady offered him her seat. He got baffled because why would a lady do such a gesture to him. He does not feel old or weak at all! I was not able to ask how he declined such offer. All that he told me is he was surprised because as far as he’s aware of it, he stands upright, strong and relatively young for his age. I just love at how he sees himself. He feels so capable! How I wish people, young and old, could see themselves that way too.

----------

Yeah, indeed each call is unique. You do not know what to expect from the other person on the other end of the line. As my favorite colleague in APC West Kingston, Rhode Island puts it, such call becomes either a curse or a blessing. It could either cheer or ruin your day.

----------

By the way, this first call lasted 50 minutes! Thinking about it, Ralph helped me more than I assisted him for his APC back-UPS concern.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Each day Becomes One Day Less

Distance